Jesus Appeared to the Disciples
The disciples were devastated that Jesus had died. They believed that Jesus was the Messiah, but they had abandoned Him and Jesus was killed. How could He save anyone if He was dead? But now some people were reporting that Jesus was alive! Was it true?
The disciples were talking about these things when Jesus stood among them. “Peace to you!” He said. Imagine how Jesus’ words might have calmed the disciples’ anxious hearts. Their Lord, whom they had deserted, didn’t show up to scold them for their failures or shame them for their lack of faith. He spoke peace to them.
Thomas, who was not with the disciples when Jesus came, had a hard time believing. Thomas wanted physical proof. A week later, Jesus showed Thomas His hands and His side. Thomas immediately believed, and Jesus said, “Because you have seen me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believe” (John 20:29).
With His resurrection, Jesus’ mission was accomplished, but the disciples’ work was just beginning. Jesus gave His followers a job to do: “As the Father has sent me, I also send you” (John 20:21). This verse contains the Gospel of John’s version of the Great Commission.
Jesus, the One sent from the Father, sent the disciples to be His messengers and representatives. Jesus equipped the disciples with the Holy Spirit to proclaim the gospel—the good news of what Jesus has done—to the world.
Emphasize to your kids that for 40 days, Jesus presented Himself to more than 500 people and proved that He is alive. Jesus is still alive today. We have not seen Jesus, but if we believe in Him, we will be blessed. He sends out believers to tell others about Him and gives us power through the Holy Spirit.
Check this session’s Activity Page and Big Picture Card as well as the Gospel Project for Kids Family App for ways to interact with the Bible content this week.
FAMILY STARTING POINTS
Babies and Toddlers
- The friends were hiding in a room.
- Jesus showed His friends He is alive.
- Jesus told Thomas to believe.
- We have not seen Jesus, but we believe He is alive.
- Jesus is alive in heaven.
- Jesus appeared to His disciples.
- Where is Jesus now? Jesus is in heaven.
- Jesus proved He is alive.
- Where is Jesus now? Jesus ascended to heaven where He is seated at the right hand of the Father.
UNIT KEY PASSAGE – John 11:25
NEXT WEEK – “Jesus Returned to Heaven” (Matthew 28; Acts 1)
- Why were the disciples hiding behind locked doors? (They were afraid of the Jews, John 20:19)
- What did Jesus say when He appeared to His friends? (“Peace to you,” John 20:19)
- What did the disciples give Jesus to eat? (fish, Luke 24:42)
- What job did Jesus give the disciples? (to tell others about Him, John 20:21)
- Which disciple doubted Jesus was alive? (Thomas, John 20:24).